Saturday, November 26, 2011

it's starting to look a lot like Christmas...

In Germany the Advent/Christmas stuff has been coming out into the stores for weeks now. The cute bakery I walk by every day put out its decorative Christmas window display last Sunday night. The grocery stores are putting out their Adventskalender and chocolate Weihnachtsmänner (santas) and the florists are selling wreaths and advent wreaths. Because they don't have Thanksgiving, the Christmas stuff comes earlier. Or, at least, that's my theory. When did it start in the US? Before Thanksgiving? Or just now that Thanksgiving is over?

I like how Germans celebrate all of December, the whole advent season. Everything just gets beautiful.This picture is taken on Ku'damm, the shopping mile in former West Berlin. They already have Christmas markets up. Berlin has tons of Christmas markets. So excited!!

This past week I had my first Stollen of the year, and gebrannte Mandeln. No Glühwein yet. I feel like it needs to be at least December for that...

Apologies for sporadic posting. We've been really busy lately, and taking off to Switzerland on Tuesday, and then my Zwillingsschwester arrives! Lots to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment