Thursday, February 9, 2012

Alte Nationalgalerie: 19th-century art

Berliner Dom and Fersehturm
This evening I went through wintery Berlin to the Alte Nationalgalerie on Museum Island. The highlight was definitely the Caspar David Friedrich room, with 15 or so of his paintings, including the "Mönch am Meer." Kleist said of this painting, "… so ist es, wenn man es betrachtet, als ob einem die Augenlider weggeschnitten wären“. [when one looks at it, it is as if one's eyelids had been cut off.]
the Caspar David Friedrich room




Der Mönch am Meer, Caspar David Friedrich

Abtei im Eichwald, Caspar David Friedrich
a little movie about the museum:

2 comments:

  1. I was just there 3 weeks ago! I looked at that Kleist painting a long time, and it was pretty creepy, but even more dire was sitting in the Berliner Dom with Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, and Melanchton staring grimly down at me. Luther looked particularly displeased...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I admit I've never been in the Berliner Dom?! I got the annual pass for the museums though, so I have extra motivation now to keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete