Sunday, May 4, 2008

Der Mittelrhein

Friday morning I took the train from Saarbrücken north to the Rhine region filled with beautiful, steep cliffs and romantic castle ruins.

This is one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, trips I have ever taken in Germany. The unbelievably perfect weather didn't hurt my impressions.

I saw the Lorelei cliffs, which I had been dying to see ever since I fell in love with the German poet Heinrich Heine and read his beautiful tribute to this maiden who lured sailors to their deaths. :) The cliffs are totally impressive, so the story goes that the sailors stared up at them instead of at the river, which gets to its narrow-most point here.

There were a lot of tourists, but it was just beautiful and I know why. The cliffs were also partially covered with vineyards (I enjoyed some good German Riesling) and medieval ruins are just scattered along the hillsides.

From the balcony of my hotel I could see the river and a gorgeous castle (Burg Maus), and down the street the Burg Rheinfels, another half-ruined castle.

Saturday I took a boat down to Bacharach, a small town with some beautiful old houses, and on the way passed some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen in my life.

(camera broken, pictures later)

No comments:

Post a Comment